[rfc-i] RFC Series publishes first RFC with non-ASCII characters

Frank Ellermann hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 03:26:48 PDT 2017

On 14/09/2017, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

> the first RFC to be published with UTF-8 encoding and include characters not in the
> basic ASCII character set.

Interesting, and a quick sanity test with
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8187 works for me (= can see an € in
3.2.3), that should also cover all WikiMedia and MediaWiki projects
linking to tools.ietf.org (not limited to RFCs, I-Ds are also often
linked via tools.ietf.org). So now I can finally replace an ancient
copy of vintage 2005 draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-01.txt by a more up to
date RFC 8140 ;-)

Skeptical, maybe the Unicode emoji for ;-) does not yet work
everywhere, some folks including me are still using Windows 7 and not
planning to upgrade before 2020.