[rfc-i] CMOS

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 15:58:06 PDT 2017

The style guide says that the RFC Editor uses the Chicago Manual of Style,
but I notice that it lives behind a paywall.

What's a poor author supposed to do, when confronted with a review comment
that is really a matter of style? I can't check the style guide.

(In this case, I need to check the strange theory that "that" introduces
a restrictive clause whereas "which" is non-restrictive, or maybe it's
the other way round, and who cares anyway, because the meaning should be
clear without such an implied semantic distinction?)

((In case it isn't obvious, I believe this is a distinction invented on
the Western side of the Atlantic; it was certainly not something that,
or which, I ever heard on the Eastern side.))

Regards
   Brian