[rfc-i] Bug in RFC Search page...

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sun Oct 1 18:41:46 PDT 2017

On 2017/09/27 06:57, Toerless Eckert wrote:

> There is a lot of tool chains out there that will not render UTF-8 correctly,
> therefore it is IMHO extremely viable to have a clear indication of the
> minimum toolchain features required to render a document correctly (in the first
> page header of an RFC wold be great).

First, most of the 'toolchain' doesn't render anything, and for most
purposes, will just pass through UTF-8 if it passes through all 8 bits.

Second, rendering usually works so that there might be something
illegible, but the rest of the document (in ASCII) isn't affected. And
the guidelines by the RFC editor are designed so that the document can
still be read in such a case.

Third, I think overall it's much easier to fix the remaining tool chains
than to have everybody be detracted by additional distinctions that
should be irrelevant in this day and age.

Regards,   Martin.