[rfc-i] Errata Reference Format

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Thu May 4 16:33:58 PDT 2017

On 3/11/17 5:55 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flanagan-7322bis-00#section-4.8.6.5>:
>
>> 4.8.6.5.  Referencing Errata
>>
>>    The following format is required when a reference to an erratum
>>    report is necessary:
>>
>>    [ErrNumber]  RFC Errata, Erratum ID number, RFC number, <URI>.
>>
>>    [Err1912]  RFC Errata, Erratum ID 1912, RFC 2978, xxx.
>
> In V3, we'd format that as:
>
>> <reference anchor="Err1912" quoteTitle="false" target="xxx">
>>   <front>
>>     <title>Errata ID 1912</title>
>>     <author><organization>RFC Errata</organization></author>
>>   </front>
>>   <seriesInfo name="RFC" value="2978"/>
>> </reference>
>
> Observations:
>
> 1) That makes it look like this references actually RFC 2978, so the
> seriesInfo element is very misleading.
>
> 2) No date is specified.
>
> Proposal:
>
> <reference anchor="Err1912" quoteTitle="false"
> target="https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?eid=1912">
>   <front>
>     <title>RFC 2978 Erratum 1912</title>
>     <author><organization>RFC Errata</organization></author>
>   </front>
>   <seriesInfo name="RFC Errata" value="1912"/>
>   <date year="2009" month="October"/>
> </reference>
>
> Giving:
>
> [Err1912]  RFC Errata, RFC 2978 Erratum 1912, RFC Errata 1912, October
>            2009, <https://www.rfc-editor.or/errata_search.php?eid=1912>
>
> a) This make seriesInfo actually meaningful.
>
> b) The URI of course should be aligned with what the future format is;
> for instance <https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/1912>.
>
> c)
> <https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7991.html#element.reference.attribute.quoteTitle>
> allows us to have an unquoted title, but I'd like to question whether we
> *really* need a special case here.
>
> Best regards, Julian

Hello all,

The effort to make better, stable errata URLs is done. The format of the
URL is:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid####

(e.g., https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid4920)

Note that for the concatenated records (the "Full Records" in a search
on the RFC Editor website) those remain URL search strings.

I will be adjusting the Style Guide, and the RPC will manage the
references as needed for documents in our queue.

Heather