[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-iab-rfc-nonascii-01.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Feb 29 13:09:25 PST 2016

On 2016-02-29 21:17, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> The one place we *do* perform sorting is in references, with sortRefs ='true'.  In the prototype prep tool, I'm preferring the reference's displayreference/@to, then falling back to the reference's @anchor.  I'm using javascript's "<" operator for comparison; I have no idea how that actually compares non-ascii strings.
>
> One way to fix this would be to disallow non-ascii strings in reference anchors and displayreference/@to. If that's the approach, the non-ascii draft needs a note and the prep tool draft needs a step to check for those.

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7749.html#element.reference.attribute.anchor>
has:

"The value needs to be a valid XML "Name" (Section 2.3 of [XML]),
additionally constrained to US-ASCII characters [USASCII]. Thus, the
character repertoire consists of "A-Z", "a-z", "0-9", "_", "-", ".", and
":", where "0-9", ".", and "-" are disallowed as start characters."

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-rfc-nonascii-00.html#rfc.section.3.8>:

"Keywords and citation tags must be ASCII only."

I believe "citation tags" is about the anchor attribute on <reference>.

So it seems all that needs to be done is aligning V3 with V2, and adding
a similar constraint to <displayreference>.

Best regards, Julian