[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-iab-rfc-nonascii-01.txt

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 12:58:01 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) <
jhildebr at cisco.com> wrote:

> The one place we *do* perform sorting is in references, with sortRefs
> ='true'.  In the prototype prep tool, I'm preferring the reference's
> displayreference/@to, then falling back to the reference's @anchor.  I'm
> using javascript's "<" operator for comparison; I have no idea how that
> actually compares non-ascii strings.
>
> One way to fix this would be to disallow non-ascii strings in reference
> anchors and displayreference/@to. If that's the approach, the non-ascii
> draft needs a note and the prep tool draft needs a step to check for those.
>
> Disallowing non-ascii strings seems it will open up a can of worms for
references that are to languages not limited to ASCII.  Think of something
like GOSTR341094  in RFC 4357.  Having the reference anchor have both the
Cyrillic and ASCII reference makes sense; including both but having the
anchor to only the ASCII seems weird.

Ted