[rfc-i] Non-ASCII in author names

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sun Feb 28 16:41:01 PST 2016

On 28 Feb 2016, at 10:04, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:

> 2. To clarify the structure and use of author names, the following has
> been added to Section 3.2:
> In both the front page header and the references section, when a
> non-Latin script is used, the fullname of the author is required.

Section 3.2 is about how to display names that also have non-ASCII
components. What you wrote there seems like it is for the v3 format
document. What the nonascii document should say is exactly how to
represent names when there are non-ASCII components given. The document
currently doesn't specify the display: it only gives simple examples.
Having specific text is needed for the format documents.

As for the requirement for the XML, do you mean:

    If any of the "asciiFullname", "asciiInitials", or "asciiSurname"
    attributes of the <author> is present, the "fullname" attribute
    must also be present.

If that's what you mean, I can add that to the prose of the v3 document
and the preptool document. If not, please specify what you meant so I
can figure out what the other documents need to say.

> Initials are supported and encouraged if available.

This too seem to be for the v3 spec, yes?

But still, the nonascii draft should specify how all the names given in
Joe's earlier message would be displayed.

--Paul Hoffman