[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-plaintext-02

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sun Feb 28 09:35:13 PST 2016

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-rfc-plaintext-02.html#rfc.section.1.p.3>:

"A plain-text output for RFCs will continue to be required for the
foreseeable future. The process of converting XML2RFC version 2 (xml2rfc
v2) into text documents is well understood [I-D.iab-xml2rfcv2]. ..."

Should cite RFC 7749.

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-rfc-plaintext-02.html#rfc.section.1.p.6>:

"Where practical, the original guidance for the structure of a
plain-text RFC has been kept, such as with line lengths, lines per page,
etc. [INS2AUTH] Other publication formats, such as HTML and PDF, will
include additional features that will not be present in the plain text
(e.g., paragraph numbering, typographical emphasis."

")" missing.

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-rfc-plaintext-02.html#rfc.section.3.p.1>:

"Artwork is defined as anything marked by the XML >artwork< element (see
Section 2.5 of "The 'XML2RFC' version 3 Vocabulary" [I-D.iab-xml2rfc].
Only the 'type=ascii-art' will be rendered within the plain-text format.
This marks figures drawn with ASCII characters."

That doesn't work. There are many other things that could be placed into
<artwork>, and those will have to continue to work in the plain text
version.

The type list in the v3 spec is not exhaustive, but even on that list I
see "call-flow" and "hex-dump" which will have to continue to work.

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-rfc-plaintext-02.html#rfc.section.5.p.1>:

"... In particular, the formatter will use the "submissionType",
"seriesInfo", "author", "address", "title", "reference",
"referencegroup", and "references" to build the front and back matter of
the document."

This list is confusing. Why is front and back matter called out here?

Best regards, Julian