[rfc-i] draft-iab-html-rfc-02: references

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sat Feb 27 08:38:34 PST 2016

On 27 Feb 2016, at 8:33, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 2016-02-27 17:27, Paul Hoffman wrote:

>>> That doesn't work. For a document that has only one <references>
>>> element (for instance, just normative references), it will lead to
>>> unnecessary (and uncommon) nesting.
>>
>> Why does "unnecessary (and uncommon) nesting" equate to "doesn't
>> work"?
>> Is that just a value judgement, or is there something technically
>> wrong
>> with that kind of nesting?
>
> It's not wrong,

Good; "That doesn't work" made it sound like you meant it was wrong.

> but it's also not what the tools generate today,

Right: we're talking about new tools for a new vocabulary

> and most likely not what the RFC production center wants.

Neither you or I work for the RPC; we can let them comment on what they
want.

>>> This doesn't explain where the ID for the enclosing section comes
>>> from.
>>
>> Which ID are you referring to? Both of those look pretty clear to me,
>> but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> It's not clear where they come from; from the source document? Are
> they automatically inserted?

They are automatically inserted by the prep tool, as described in
section B.2.1 of the v3 vocabulary document.

--Paul Hoffman