[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-use-of-pdf-01

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed Feb 24 14:22:27 PST 2016

On 2/24/16, 2:50 PM, "Leonard Rosenthol" <lrosenth at adobe.com> wrote:

>The editor/IETF is doing the signing and not the author, correct?  If so, is this really the functional requirements?  Command line, I would assume, in order to integrate into the production workflow system - yes?

Yes.  To allow the entire process to be automated, for example, using whatever orchestration mechanism the RPC chooses.  This seems critical to ensure that the signing happens every time, and that it happens the same way no matter who is involved in the process.

>Why the multiple platforms - isn’t the production system in use a single entity?

As far as I know, all of the other tools the RPC uses work on multiple platforms.  We haven't forced them to use a particular OS to this point, and I don't see this as being an important enough use case to cause us to start now.  I don't want to lock us in to a particular RPC vendor, and I certainly don't want us to have to retrain anyone in the RPC on a new OS.

>However, to the question, there are numerous open source and commercial solutions that can be used for this purpose.

Cool.  Can you point to a couple, please?  Ideally, you'd try it out, and give us an example of how you got it to work.  Even *better* would be for you to try several of these numerous solutions, and suggest which of them you like the best.

--
Joe Hildebrand