[rfc-i] Abstract for search engines

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Feb 23 19:48:53 PST 2016

In article <56CC1730.8030202 at gmx.de> you write:
><https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-html-rfc-02#section-2> has:
>
>>    o  The abstract must be marked up or tagged in a way that popular
>>       search engines will extract it as a summary.
>
>...which is a good requirement (I asked for it :-). Back then, HTML's
>description meta tag seemed to work, but that doesn't seem to be the
>case anymore. Does anybody know what needs to be done nowadays?

The search engine that people care about seems to be Google Scholar.  They
say you need meta tags at least for authors, title, and date, and it'll
find the abstract in the HTML text:

https://scholar.google.com/intl/us/scholar/inclusion.html#indexing

If the abstract is short, you could put in in the description
meta-tag, but long descriptions are likely to be ignored as SEO spam.

R's,
John