[rfc-i] References

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Feb 23 16:50:31 PST 2016

On 2/23/16 2:52 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> I'm double-checking the reference format in HTML.  Here are a couple
> examples for author names:
>
> <author fullname="王伟"/> <author fullname="王伟" asciiFullname="English
> Name" asciiInitials="E." asciiSurname="Name"/> <author initials="Ñ."
> asciiInitials="N." surname="One" fullname="Ño One" asciiFullname="No
> One"/>
>
> All of these legal, and probable.  The v3 format does not require any
> attributes in the author tag.
>
> I believe that draft-iab-rfc-nonascii-00, section 3.7, implies that
> if there are *any* ASCII attributes, that a two copies of the
> reference are inserted, the first using as many of the ascii
> attributes as possible, the second using as few of the ascii
> attributes are possible.  Is this correct?

If I understand you correctly, that's perhaps a bit more complicated
than I was expected. In the example in section 3.7, what we have is
essentially a reference that was translated in English, with the
original reference allowed as an annotation. The non-ASCII annotation is
not tagged with author, title, etc etc etc. But for the tagged portion
of the reference, the structure in terms of author names and
organizational names would be the same as what we'll allow on the front
page.  I think it's worth clarifying this in the text, and I've created
an issue to follow up on that.

> If so, we're going to need an algorithm for which attributes to use,
> for both the initial authors (who in the current format is listed as
> "Surname, Initials"), as well as for the final author (who in the
> current format is listed as "Initials Surname")
>
> In my perfect world, we would *always* use the fullname, because
> that's the only one that works with everyone in the worlds' names.  I
> know that goes against the current style guide (and that style
> guide's precedents), but none of those precedents really had to deal
> with non-Western names.
>
> Even if we want to ignore all of the non-ASCII issues, Cher's name is
> valid in the *v2* syntax:
>
> <author fullname="Cher"/>
>

> But I don't see how to render it using the rules in the style guide.
>
> Regardless of what we do here, we need rules that apply to all of the
> output formats, in order to make sure all of the output formats look
> as similar as possible to one another.

Yes.

-Heather