[rfc-i] References

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Feb 23 14:52:57 PST 2016

I'm double-checking the reference format in HTML.  Here are a couple examples for author names:

<author fullname="王伟"/>
<author fullname="王伟" asciiFullname="English Name" asciiInitials="E." asciiSurname="Name"/>
<author initials="Ñ." asciiInitials="N." surname="One" fullname="Ño One" asciiFullname="No One"/>

All of these legal, and probable.  The v3 format does not require any attributes in the author tag.

I believe that draft-iab-rfc-nonascii-00, section 3.7, implies that if there are *any* ASCII attributes, that a two copies of the reference are inserted, the first using as many of the ascii attributes as possible, the second using as few of the ascii attributes are possible.  Is this correct?

If so, we're going to need an algorithm for which attributes to use, for both the initial authors (who in the current format is listed as "Surname, Initials"), as well as for the final author (who in the current format is listed as "Initials Surname")

In my perfect world, we would *always* use the fullname, because that's the only one that works with everyone in the worlds' names.  I know that goes against the current style guide (and that style guide's precedents), but none of those precedents really had to deal with non-Western names.

Even if we want to ignore all of the non-ASCII issues, Cher's name is valid in the *v2* syntax:

<author fullname="Cher"/>

But I don't see how to render it using the rules in the style guide.

Regardless of what we do here, we need rules that apply to all of the output formats, in order to make sure all of the output formats look as similar as possible to one another.

--
Joe Hildebrand