[rfc-i] <tt> vs HTML5

Riccardo Bernardini framefritti at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 06:17:31 PST 2016

LaTeX background, but I like the idea of logical (say, semantic) markuo,
where you declare what that piece of text represents and leave unspecified
the way it is rendered.  Yes, it is a little bit (how much?) to write, but
the flexibility you gain is immense.  You can decide later if you want to
represent the code with simple monospace font or maybe a bold one.  Maybe
you could want to use monosèace fonts both for <code> and <samp>, but maybe
with different colors or using italic shape for <samp>... It is also much
easier to keep the same typographical convention over the whole document,
instead of checking of having used the same family, weight, size, ... for
every piece of code, variable, ...

Yes, when I write <code> I do not know how the text will be rendered to the
final user -- maybe because each user will have its preferences -- and,
personally, I do not care, I am happy to concentrate my efforts in writing
a good text, leaving all the aesthetic  decision to style files and user
preferences.

Riccardo