[rfc-i] extensions for <artwork> and friends

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 08:55:48 PST 2016

On 2016-02-18 17:45, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> in addition to the stuff we're already discussing (indentation,
>> <example>, an attribute to trigger insertion of "<CODE BEGINS>"...), I
>> have a few other requirements that I'd like to present.
>>
>> Note that all of these require allowing markup inside <artwork> (and
>> friends). Also note that all of these have been implemented in
>> rfc2629.xslt as custom extensions.
>
> Doesn't this present problems with "line breaks are preserved in
> artwork"? Once you start adding markup you may need to insert line
> breaks into the xml that shouldn't be in the artwork. (I guess in theory
> you can just make a very long line. But after awhile that becomes really
> annoying.)

You are right that you'll need to be careful not to mess up the
whitespace that *is* significant. That makes authoring harder, but I
think the benefits to the reader make that wortwhile.

Also, in many cases, the markup might get added automatically (for
instance, the RNG appendix in RFC 7749 was generated by a script).

Best regards, Julian