[rfc-i] extensions for <artwork> and friends
julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 04:25:24 PST 2016
in addition to the stuff we're already discussing (indentation,
<example>, an attribute to trigger insertion of "<CODE BEGINS>"...), I
have a few other requirements that I'd like to present.
Note that all of these require allowing markup inside <artwork> (and
friends). Also note that all of these have been implemented in
rfc2629.xslt as custom extensions.
1) Ability to highlight a part of artwork.
2) Ability to make part of artwork the target of a link.
Documentation: none currently, essentially done by allowing a <span>
element inside <artwork>, and allowing that <span> element to carry an
3) Ability to style part of artwork for syntax highlighting.
4) Ability to have index entries for things occurring in artwork.
Example: entries in
5) Ability to include <xref>s in artwork.
6) Ability to hyperlink within ABNF (and similar types of artwork).
a) Does this interfere with automatic extraction of source code?
No, it does not. The artwork extractor just needs to stick to the text
content of the element. (Implementation:
b) Does this interfere with automatic syntax highlighting through JS (in
case we want do do that)?
Not necessarily; for instance, <https://github.com/google/code-prettify>
deals with this properly.
Best regards, Julian
More information about the rfc-interest