[rfc-i] How to indent artwork with surrounding block

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Feb 17 12:09:16 PST 2016

On 17 Feb 2016, at 8:02, Julian Reschke wrote:

> I'm not completely sure how
>
> a) the need to identify code that should be surrounded with "<CODE
> BEGINS>" / "<CODE ENDS>", and
>
> b) the desire to distinguish between artwork (like diagrams), source
> code (such as ABNF), and examples (such as protocol messages)
>
> relate to each other. Could you elaborate?

As others have said, (a) is not a real need. Given that, the desire in
(b) might exist for some people but is not a requirement.

> IMHO: the trust grants certain extra rights for the use of "code
> components". To qualify as such, the specific text either needs to be
> in a white-listed language (and that white-list is being revised from
> time to time), or clearly marked as such. *One* way to do so is to
> insert the "<CODE BEGINS>" / "<CODE ENDS>" brackets.
>
> To me this indicates that it would be good to have a flag on
> <sourcecode> which triggers exactly that; it would allow the display
> of the brackets in formats other than TXT to be less intrusive.

That is one interpretation of the trust statements; clearly, there are
many others. That is the basis for me wanting to wait for the Trust to
tell us what is needed instead of us guessing.

--Paul Hoffman