[rfc-i] non-ASCII characters in fixed-width sourcecode

Larry Masinter masinter at adobe.com
Wed Feb 17 09:05:24 PST 2016

I wonder about the use of non-ASCII characters within sourcecode sections creating  a constraint that can't be met, namely that the non-ASCII sequence can be presented in "fixed" widths.

Unicode has combining characters, zero-width characters, double and half-width characters which don't have a "fixed-width" presentation.

I'm not sure if the remedy is to restrict non-ASCII examples in fixed-width fields, loosen the fixed-width requirements, or just make this an extra point of review.

Larry

--

http://larry.masinter.net

[http://larry.masinter.net/larry.gif]<http://larry.masinter.net/>

Larry Masinter<http://larry.masinter.net/>
larry.masinter.net
I'm reorganizing my web presence. You can still see my previous home page which hasn't changed style since 1997. I'm experimenting with WordPress, about.me, and a few ...