[rfc-i] How to indent artwork with surrounding block

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Feb 17 08:28:55 PST 2016

On 2016-02-17 17:14, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> ISTM that <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE ENDS> is generally annoying to read
> and only needed if there aren't formatting clues to help distinguish
> code from text. So the formatting of <sourcecode> should largely
> eliminate the need.

...unless we have cases where we want to embed <sourcecode> that does
*not* qualify as "code component" in the IPR sense.

I recommend to have a look at the set of published RFCs. The <CODE ...>
brackets are only used rarely (and, as far as I can tell, even in some
of these cases might not have been required). Thus they seem to play the
role of a seldom-used escape, thus IMHO we should do the same in
vocabulary and rendering code: do nothing by default, and allow an
attribute to override it.

> If the author has a need to include some form of <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE
> ENDS> into the <sourcecode> then it ought to be formatted as a comment
> in the syntax of the code so that the extracted code will be valid.

Won't work in all formats; example: JSON.

Best regards, Julian