[rfc-i] How to indent artwork with surrounding block

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 17 08:14:55 PST 2016

On 2/17/16 2:12 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> To be clear, are you assuming that tags like <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE
>>> ENDS>
>>> will continue to be inserted manually by individual authors, as part
>>> of the
>>> <sourcecode> text?
>>>
>>> I have no problem with that, but it needs to be explicit.
>>
>> I have a big problem with that, as it (a) defeats styling and (b) breaks
>> the code semantics. That's why I suggested a separate attribute for that
>> (see
>> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#ext-rfc2629.artwork).
>
> Generally these markers are extremely intrusive.
>
> There are also several drafts where an xpath expression of the form
>
> //artwork[@type='CDDL']/text()
>
> or similar is the defined way to generate the complete source code for
> the draft; having to add post processing to *remove* the <CODE BEGINS>
> etc. noise sounds nonsensically counterproductive.
>
> So, yes, the author needs to be in control.

ISTM that <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE ENDS> is generally annoying to read
and only needed if there aren't formatting clues to help distinguish
code from text. So the formatting of <sourcecode> should largely
eliminate the need.

If the author has a need to include some form of <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE
ENDS> into the <sourcecode> then it ought to be formatted as a comment
in the syntax of the code so that the extracted code will be valid.

	Thanks,
	Paul K