[rfc-i] How to indent artwork with surrounding block

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Tue Feb 16 23:12:30 PST 2016

Julian Reschke wrote:
>> To be clear, are you assuming that tags like <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE
>> ENDS>
>> will continue to be inserted manually by individual authors, as part
>> of the
>> <sourcecode> text?
>>
>> I have no problem with that, but it needs to be explicit.
>
> I have a big problem with that, as it (a) defeats styling and (b) breaks
> the code semantics. That's why I suggested a separate attribute for that
> (see
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#ext-rfc2629.artwork).

Generally these markers are extremely intrusive.

There are also several drafts where an xpath expression of the form

//artwork[@type='CDDL']/text()

or similar is the defined way to generate the complete source code for
the draft; having to add post processing to *remove* the <CODE BEGINS>
etc. noise sounds nonsensically counterproductive.

So, yes, the author needs to be in control.

Grüße, Carsten