[rfc-i] How to indent artwork with surrounding block

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Feb 16 07:39:05 PST 2016

On 2016-02-16 15:52, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> I am in general in favor of <example> because of his #2 reason. Because
> the IETF went down the twisty road of having special rules for code in
> RFCs, it would be good to be able to say "this bit of monospace text
> that is set out on its own is, in fact, not source code". FWIW, I'm
> strongly opposed to "different styling by default" because doing so will
> just confuse the reader.

Here's an example to illustrate my point:
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7235.html#header.www-authenticate>.

It contains

- "source code" (ABNF), which just happens to use a mono-spaced font

- an example (a header field), which also has a border

I don't think this is confusing at all, but then, as always, feedback
appreciated...

Best regards, Julian