[rfc-i] tabs [was: sourcecode indentation]

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Mon Feb 15 23:08:06 PST 2016

The last RFC I can find that contains HT characters is RFC 2329 (this
one is interesting in that has been aggressively tabbified, to the point
of replacing single spaces in the text by tabs whenever they occur
before a multiple-of-8 column).

Since that practice stopped in 1998, Makefiles couldn't be printed
literally in RFCs.
Why would we want to, anyway?  We don't include other binary files
literally, either, and don't use other perfectly fine ASCII characters
such as BS or RS.  (HT is actually worse because there is an illusion
that it might work.  In some cases.)

Grüße, Carsten