[rfc-i] tabs [was: sourcecode indentation]

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Feb 15 21:17:28 PST 2016

On 2016/02/16 03:03, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:

> I think a warning on tab characters that are inside artwork or sourcecode is likely to be a good thing as well.  Because of reasons below, tabs in <artwork> might even be an error.

In an open-source project I'm working on, it's custom to not create
anything that produces a warning, and to get rid of all warnings that
get reported for any compilers supported. The reason for this is that
it's very difficult to distinguish warnings that "are okay" and warnings
that point to an actual problem, and then to keep a list of warnings
that are okay in your head.

Of course the situation we look at is not the same as an open-source
project, but I'm starting to get somewhat worried seeing "warning" in
multiple mails recently. If at all possible, we should only use warnings
for things that can always be avoided.

So as an example, if we always process tabs by converting them to
spaces, and so they can always be replaced by spaces in the source, then
a warning looks okay. If we want to keep the tabs, and therefore there's
no way to get rid of the warning in some cases, then I'd look for a
different way to solve this.

Regards,   Martin.