[rfc-i] sourcecode preparation

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Feb 15 10:12:50 PST 2016

On 2/13/16, 11:47 AM, "rfc-interest on behalf of Paul Kyzivat" <rfc-interest-bounces at rfc-editor.org on behalf of pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>This seems like a reasonable heuristic, with some caveats:
>
>- ensure that the derived name doesn't conflict with any sourcecode name
>attribute elsewhere in the file. If there is a conflict, modify the
>derived filename, or omit it.

Agree.  I think I'd want to omit it, with a warning.

>- it would be nice to verify that the inlined source indeed seems to by
>python code before committing to attach that type to it. (But this might
>be difficult to achieve in practice, since it might just be a fragment
>of code.)

Disagree.  If the preptool has to effectively be the first pass of a compiler for all of the languages we support, it's going to get complicated.  Even if it has to find the right compiler, figure out how to call it on your system, and tell if the input was valid using it, it will get too complex.  This seems like a job for your build tools, even for formats that are very IETF-specific, like YANG and ABNF.

--
Joe Hildebrand