[rfc-i] sourcecode indentation

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Sun Feb 14 14:23:54 PST 2016

Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>> Not sure you are talking about these, but ASCII HT characters MUST NOT
>> be allowed in RFC source.
>>
>> RFC 7386/7396 should be enough warning here.
>
> Then sourcecode languages that require (such as Makefiles) them cannot
> appear in ietf documents.

That is correct.  I agree that it is not a big loss, because a simple
tabify (or however it's called in your editor) will convert a spacy
Makefile into a tabby one.  (Weirder languages may need to be
base64-encoded, as was done for the compressed tar file in RFC 6716.)

(While I understand most people on this list already have gray hair, for
those who weren't around when the tab-vs-spaces discussion was resolved:
https://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html
)

Grüße, Carsten