[rfc-i] sourcecode indentation

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 14 10:44:15 PST 2016

On 2/14/16 10:52 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> The tab issue in makefiles still not fixed? Wow. I thought that
> inanity had been plugged years ago. Has never been a problem in the
> tools I use.

Not AFAIK. But I may be out of date. But I agree that it was a
regrettable language design decision from the beginning. As I noted in
another message, if it is just Makefiles that have such a problem I
don't mind ignoring it.

> Its a very simple hack to convert leading spaces to tabs.

True, but knowing you need to do so can be an issue. Consider automatic
verifiers.

This is effectively redefining the language for the purpose of
publication. And then either you need to change your tooling so that
everything that does Make needs to preprocess the language, or
converters need to be run every time such source is
added-to/extracted-from the source.

	Thanks,
	Paul