[rfc-i] sourcecode indentation

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sat Feb 13 12:56:10 PST 2016

On 12 Feb 2016, at 15:52, HANSEN, TONY L wrote:

> A better example of outdent would be
>
> <sourcecode indent="-4">
>  foo
>    bar
>      baz
> </sourcecode>
>
> which would generate:
>
> <pre class="sourcecode">
> foo
> bar
>  baz
> </pre>
>
> in the HTML format.
>
> A more common variation might be where the input is coming from
> elsewhere and you have no control over the indentation used there:
>
> <sourcecode indent="-4" src="http://URL to the source code"/>
>  or
>
> <sourcecode indent="16" src="http://URL to the source code"/>
>
> The use case for this is very specific, but probably not something
> that would get used often.
>
> If you think you would find it useful, please speak up.

I will speak up against this idea. For sourcecode where indentation is
important, seeing an example at the left margin might cause the reader
to think that the code is in fact not indented. Your example above is a
classic one: someone seeing that text would assume that "foo" and "bar"
are at the same level when they are not. I would prefer not to have the
RFC format have a display hinting mechanism that could be used to make
examples harder to interpret.

--Paul Hoffman