[rfc-i] Line numbers

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Fri Feb 5 13:38:07 PST 2016

On 2/5/16, 2:29 PM, "rfc-interest on behalf of Paul Kyzivat" <rfc-interest-bounces at rfc-editor.org on behalf of pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>How would this affect the indentation? Would the numbers start at the
>same place as unnumbered code? (Thus pushing the code further to the
>right.) Or would the code be positioned the same either way, with the
>numbers pushed further left?

For HTML/PDF, I think that this is up to the team that writes the CSS.  The left side of the box will be positioned *relative* to the enclosing block, but that relative size might be negative if you have line numbers.  This is a detail that we would run down in a more full-featured prototype.

For the text format, I'm not sure; I could be talked into either way.  The nice thing about the line numbers is that you could tell much more easily where the sourcecode block stopped.

--
Joe Hildebrand