[rfc-i] draft-iab-xml2rfc-02 - alignment of sourcecode

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Feb 4 17:53:34 PST 2016

On 2016/02/05 06:04, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Thanks for the example! (PaulK, I assume that your ideas might match
> Tony's.) However, I disagree with the utility. See below.

(actual code removed)

>> In my mind, that indentation of the second block looks rather weird.
>
> And our minds definitely differ. If someone is reading the RFC and see
> the proper indentation, they would assume that the second block is at
> the same level as the first block. For my eyes, your example is exactly
> why we *don't* want to let authors move their <sourcecode> horizontally
> in the output.

For the record, I'd tend to be with Paul on this one. It may be
different if it's in a different section, and presented independently.
On the other hand, it might be better to tighten up the expository style
(separate text and source more), or to extract code blocks into
functions so that each piece can stand on its own.

BTW, do we have the possibility to add line numbers to source code
blocks? That can often be very handy.

Regards,   Martin.