[rfc-i] xml2rfc issue

Erik Wilde erik.wilde at dret.net
Thu Feb 4 00:24:07 PST 2016

hello carsten.

On 2016-02-04 00:10, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> Interesting.  <eref target="http://www.tzi.org">TZI</eref> works with
> xml2rfcv2 as specified in RFC 7749 in my little kramdown-rfc test set:
> It translates into
> ... TZI [1] ...
> and a (weirdly named) section under References:
> 7.3.  URIs
>     [1] http://www.tzi.org
> For a while, I have been reluctantly believing that this was actually
> the intended behavior, and it is consistent with RFC 7749.

this is what i remember. for example,
https://github.com/dret/I-D/blob/master/Published/xml-patch/draft-wilde-xml-patch-10.txt
is an older draft (june 2014), and i don't know what version of xml2rfc
i was using, but as you can see, it did work at that point in time in
the same way as you are describing.

> So it seems there need to be specific circumstances to trigger the bug
> below.  My test set uses symrefs for the biblio references, but it still
> "works" if I switch that off, with the little flaw that both the biblio
> references and the URI references are numbered starting from [1].  Hmm,
> kramdown-rfc generates separate normative and informative references...
>   (How did you switch that off?)

i am doing things very simply: i write the XML directly, and then i
convert it via http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/.

http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc-version reports 2.5.1.dev0

> (And, yes, I can reproduce the bug from draft-wilde-registries-01.xml. Hmm.)

not sure if i can help with better explaining the situation. this used
to work as i thought it should, and now it doesn't anymore. i am not
sure which version triggered the change in behavior, but as shown above,
it did work roughly 1.5 years ago.

cheers,

dret.

--