[rfc-i] xml2rfc issue

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Thu Feb 4 00:10:36 PST 2016

(This is really about the bug in XML2RFC, not about the strangenesses of
the eref feature; bugs don't belong here, but eref as a whole is
indistinguishable to me from a bug, and I'd like to understand this thread.)

Interesting.  <eref target="http://www.tzi.org">TZI</eref> works with
xml2rfcv2 as specified in RFC 7749 in my little kramdown-rfc test set:

It translates into

... TZI [1] ...

and a (weirdly named) section under References:

7.3.  URIs

   [1] http://www.tzi.org

For a while, I have been reluctantly believing that this was actually
the intended behavior, and it is consistent with RFC 7749.

So it seems there need to be specific circumstances to trigger the bug
below.  My test set uses symrefs for the biblio references, but it still
"works" if I switch that off, with the little flaw that both the biblio
references and the URI references are numbered starting from [1].  Hmm,
kramdown-rfc generates separate normative and informative references...
 (How did you switch that off?)

$ xml2rfcv2 --version
2.5.0

(And, yes, I can reproduce the bug from draft-wilde-registries-01.xml. Hmm.)

Grüße, Carsten