[rfc-i] draft-iab-xml2rfc-02 - alignment of sourcecode

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Feb 3 22:22:20 PST 2016

On 2016-02-03 23:47, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> On 2/2/16, 3:17 PM, "rfc-interest on behalf of Julian Reschke" <rfc-interest-bounces at rfc-editor.org on behalf of julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> It depends on what the formatter does with the indentation information.
>>
>> In any format other than plain text, it can easily style the actual code
>> so that it's clear what's indentation and what's content.
>>
>> See, for instance:
>> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7230.html#rfc.section.2.1.p.8>
>
> What I don't understand yet is why you would want to indent different sourcecode elements differently from one another.  Without more explanation, your example above looks to me like a perfectly valid approach for all of your sourcecode elements to be styled that way.  I see the x:indent-with="  " in the XML source, but I don't see how that affected the HTML, which has <pre class="text">?  Can you please walk me through your vision?

Because I didn't explain well, and it's very long ago that I put this in.

Right now it's only used in
<https://github.com/reschke/xml2rfc/blob/master/clean-for-DTD.xslt#L665>, which
is my preprocessing step that generates XML input for xml2rfc; so it
allows to indent the artwork when I generate TXT files, without having
to have the whitespace in the source file.

Best regards, Julian