[rfc-i] draft-iab-xml2rfc-02 - alignment of sourcecode

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 3 21:07:23 PST 2016

On 2/3/16 5:47 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> On 2/2/16, 3:17 PM, "rfc-interest on behalf of Julian Reschke" <rfc-interest-bounces at rfc-editor.org on behalf of julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> It depends on what the formatter does with the indentation information.
>>
>> In any format other than plain text, it can easily style the actual code
>> so that it's clear what's indentation and what's content.
>>
>> See, for instance:
>> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7230.html#rfc.section.2.1.p.8>
>
> What I don't understand yet is why you would want to indent different sourcecode elements differently from one another.  Without more explanation, your example above looks to me like a perfectly valid approach for all of your sourcecode elements to be styled that way.  I see the x:indent-with="  " in the XML source, but I don't see how that affected the HTML, which has <pre class="text">?  Can you please walk me through your vision?

When it fits, I am likely to want the soucecode indentation to float
with the indentation of the text that surrounds it. But I may want to
override that if it doesn't fit well that way.

OR, I may want to treat it as a block and apply exactly the same
alignment controls that are available for artwork. (And if the
sourcecode lines are kind of long, then "right" alignment might be my
preferred choice - to get it indented as much as I can while not
truncating anything.)

Which way is a matter of taste.

Right now I get neither option.

	Thanks,