[rfc-i] Referencing IANA registries

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sat Dec 17 10:27:34 PST 2016

Hi, Carsten,

The list of registries by name is here:

http://www.iana.org/protocols

Those However, I think what you want is something a little more compact
than many of those names, as well as to maintain the grouping there.

When you pull the registries themselves to find their "title" attribute,
you aren't getting anything more useful. In fact, the URL you gave lists
the entire ports database, not just the page that comes up with the link
I provided (which is the customer-facing access page to that database,
which is much smaller).

IMO, it might be more useful to ask IANA to make a "registry of
registries" for this purpose - with both their long name and a useful
citation name.

Remember, they work with us anyway. We don't need to treat them as opaque.

Joe