[rfc-i] Referencing IANA registries

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Sat Dec 17 00:18:20 PST 2016

On 17 Dec 2016, at 01:37, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> I don't think there's any useful convention for the citation label.

If we want to automate this from an authoring tool, I’d probably use the label

[IANA.SERVICE-NAMES-PORT-NUMBERS]

then lower-case the part after IANA, fetch

http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xml

and then build the References entry from '/registry/title/text()’ and that URI after removing the last path component.

Would that be a useful addition to an authoring tool?

(I’m not sure what to make of the fact that this particular registry appears to have an alias; I’d rather use the official names.)

Grüße, Carsten