[rfc-i] Referencing IANA registries

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 16:23:26 PST 2016

On 17/12/2016 12:13, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to find instructions on the correct way to reference an
> existing IANA registry in an RFC. How is this supposed to be done?
>
> For example RFC 4147 has the following references:
>
>    [iana-ipv6-registry]  IANA, "IANA IPv6 Address Registry",
>                          December 2004.
>
>    [iana-ipv6-tla]       IANA, "IANA Registry of IPv6 Top Level
>                          Aggregation Identifier Assignments",
>                          December 2004.
>
> But there is no specification of those formats.

Answer 1: When I hit one of these, I go to http://www.iana.org/protocols
and search within the page. But it isn't black and white; the first one doesn't
exist today under that name. Probably this:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address-space/ipv6-address-space.xhtml

(I sincerely hope you are not really trying to use the highly obsolete TLA format.)

Answer 2: Some RFCs now cite the relevant URLs. For example, RFC 7217 cites:

   [IANA-RESERVED-IID]
              IANA, "Reserved IPv6 Interface Identifiers",
              <http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-interface-ids>.

I think this is a Good Idea and should be done whenever possible.

    Brian