[rfc-i] Request for feedback: the new CSS

Martin Thomson martin.thomson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:51:58 PST 2016

One thing that turned up was an error in the toc (I have a PR that
attempts to correct many of the HTML errors that came up).  That
manifested as a slight style difference.  In looking into this, I
discover that draft-iab-rfc-html recommends the following
construction:

<ul>
  <li>1. Section</li>
  <ul>
    <li>1.1. Section</li>
  </ul>
</ul>

This is really just exploiting the fault tolerance of HTML.
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/semantics.html#the-ul-element
says that <ul> contains <li>.  I would prefer if we could mandate
that.  That is,

<ul>
  <li>1. Section
    <ul>
      <li>1.1. Section</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

I note that xml2rfc (the python thing) has produced the former
construction.  Julian Reschke's XSLT-based transform produces the
latter form.  I find that styling the latter is easier; dealing with
the former is a nuisance.