[rfc-i] Request for feedback: the new CSS

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Dec 2 14:19:19 PST 2016

>>> 1. You have some embedded code fragments. Is it your intention that these will
>>> still be visibly marked <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE ENDS>?
>>
>> As far as I know, those markings are optional, right?
>
>Not exactly. And they aren't our choice - they are defined in the IETF Trust
>legal provisions:

>So regardless of what would be most elegant in XML2RFCv3, authors must be able
>to include these labels explicitly.

I see the phrase "or otherwise clearly labeled as a Code Component"
which suggests to me that we don't have to use the ugly bracket things
if the document says something like all the blocks of fixed pitch text
are code components.  They're still coded in the XML so mechanical
extraction is no problem.

For that matter, I'd argue that since the XML is the canonical format,
the XML code markings clearly label the code and we're done.

R's,
John