[rfc-i] HTML version of xml documents

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Thu Dec 1 11:36:44 PST 2016

On 12/1/16 10:50 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I'm reacting to output for Internet Drafts, but feel that format issues
> for RFCs and I-Ds should be the same, and this is the only solid venue
> for discussing such things, so...
>

> The html version of an xml2rfc document is little more that a txt
> version with active links.  (Maybe nothing more; maybe a little more; I
> haven't done an actual audit.)

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

> Also a disclaimer:  I haven't tracked recent discussions about
> html-izing RFCs.  I'm just reacting to what output is now being
> generated for drafts.  I thought I heard a long time ago that some
> professional graphic design was going to be applied to this, but it
> clearly hasn't reached the html generator for I-Ds...

The format gods are amused, as I was typing up the request for feedback
on that professional design while you were typing this!

> It's important that the ability to have fonts and graphics not lead to
> excessive formatting cleverness, but I think we also lose readability
> benefits by ignoring these features.

Well, yes. That has been part of the plan all along.

> To that end, I suggest at least these kinds of changes:
>

> 0. Pagination
>
>    Don't.

Not in the HTML, no.

> 1. Headings
>
>    The only current action is to make the heading bold.
>
>    I suggest also varying font size, according to heading level.
>
>    I also choosing a non-black, dark color, for additional emphasis. I'm
> a fan of dark blue.  Julan seems to currently favor green.
>
>    Vary the vertical spacing above the heading, again according the
> heading level.
>
>    Hmmm.  Html does a number of things when using it's own heading
> constructs, whereas the current generator invents span-based mechanisms.
>  So perhaps most of what I'm suggest devolves to:  use html heading and
> tweak fontcolor and size.)

You're going to provisionally approve of the new CSS. I'm sure you'll
have more immediate suggestions when you do. :-)

> 2. Tables
>
>    Use html tables, rather than emulating the text ascii style

Yes, we already took that into account.

-Heather