[rfc-i] HTML version of xml documents

Dave Crocker dcrocker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 10:50:43 PST 2016

G'day,

I'm reacting to output for Internet Drafts, but feel that format issues
for RFCs and I-Ds should be the same, and this is the only solid venue
for discussing such things, so...

The html version of an xml2rfc document is little more that a txt
version with active links.  (Maybe nothing more; maybe a little more; I
haven't done an actual audit.)

Also a disclaimer:  I haven't tracked recent discussions about
html-izing RFCs.  I'm just reacting to what output is now being
generated for drafts.  I thought I heard a long time ago that some
professional graphic design was going to be applied to this, but it
clearly hasn't reached the html generator for I-Ds...

It's important that the ability to have fonts and graphics not lead to
excessive formatting cleverness, but I think we also lose readability
benefits by ignoring these features.

To that end, I suggest at least these kinds of changes:

0. Pagination

    Don't.

1. Headings

    The only current action is to make the heading bold.

    I suggest also varying font size, according to heading level.

    I also choosing a non-black, dark color, for additional emphasis.
I'm a fan of dark blue.  Julan seems to currently favor green.

    Vary the vertical spacing above the heading, again according the
heading level.

    Hmmm.  Html does a number of things when using it's own heading
constructs, whereas the current generator invents span-based mechanisms.
  So perhaps most of what I'm suggest devolves to:  use html heading and
tweak fontcolor and size.)

2. Tables

    Use html tables, rather than emulating the text ascii style

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking