[rfc-i] Updating one paragraph of RFC 2026 to reflect current practice

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Fri May 29 12:27:14 PDT 2015

Russ Housley wrote:
> 2) Whether a citation should contain the draft name (incl. "-nn")
>
> Including the -nn is desirable, but not a show stopper in my view.

That depends on the intention of the citation.

A citation may actually want to cite a specific version of the draft.
Another use case is citing the draft as a progression of "work in
progress", i.e., future versions are implicitly meant as well.

Note that the xml2rfc citation library has different citation formats
for both these use cases:
{{?I-D.draft-ietf-6lo-btle-13}} for the specific draft*), and
{{?I-D.ietf-6lo-btle}} for the work in progress as a progression of
drafts.

Grüße, Carsten

*) There is some brokenness with the anchor here that I didn't notice
before: Both links point to the same reference file, which includes the
sequence number:
<seriesInfo name='Internet-Draft' value='draft-ietf-6lo-btle-13' />
but has the work-in-progress citation as its anchor:
<reference anchor='I-D.ietf-6lo-btle'>