[rfc-i] Updating one paragraph of RFC 2026 to reflect current practice

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Fri May 29 08:09:40 PDT 2015

I mostly agree with this change, and feel that it shouldn't be that
contentious.

I have a couple smallish issues.

    Tony Hansen

Section 2:

   It is acceptable to reference an Internet-Draft in another Internet-
   Draft or RFC.  Such a reference must be to a specific edition of an
   Internet-Draft by indicating its full filename, such as "draft-ietf- <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-somewg-someprotocol-03>
   somewg-someprotocol-03 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-somewg-someprotocol-03>".

I agree with this for RFCs. However, I think I-Ds should be able to
continue to refer to the generic name of an I-D when they choose to,
that is, to "most recent version". This has always been useful when I-Ds
are being worked on in parallel and you really do want the reader to pay
attention to whatever the latest version of that other I-D that's out
there. I recommend changing the text to:

   It is acceptable to reference an Internet-Draft in another Internet-
   Draft or RFC.  >>>In an RFC,<<< such a reference must be to a specific edition of an
   Internet-Draft by indicating its full filename, such as "draft-ietf- <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-somewg-someprotocol-03>
   somewg-someprotocol-03 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-somewg-someprotocol-03>".

Nits:

Abstract has a misplaced or mislaid paren.

Intro has " RFC 2026that"