[rfc-i] Relative attribute and the # character

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed May 27 23:02:38 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-28 04:31, Larry Masinter wrote:
> I think this takes too many assumptions from the HTML view.

It makes assumptions about the thing we're linking to. If that's
something stable, there shouldn't be a problem. If it's not, then this
feature should not be used.

> RFCs (and I-Ds) are replicated, moved, and the context of the
> rest of the web structure is variable.

Yes; does this mean we shouldn't try to link to other documents at all?

> I think the definition of the relative attribute should be
> at the semantic level, and only turned into “#link” by the
> convert-to-html.

Do you have a concrete proposal how this would look like?

> E.g. intra-document links in a PDF file might not involve
> prepending a “#” to the link at all.

Intra-document links in PDF will be generated using <xref target="..."/>
where the target is the anchor of another element in the XML. These will
always be generated by the processor depending on the document format
(and work just fine in PDF when done properly).

Best regards, Julian