[rfc-i] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-18.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue May 26 23:00:39 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-26 23:27, Paul Hoffman wrote:
 > - A change in the design of relative references. In earlier drafts,
relative references were done as additional attributes in <xref>; in the
new draft, <xref> acts as it does in v2, and there is a new <relref>
element for relative references. This was done to make it easier for
authors to understand how the XML they create will be processed. Please
including examples of how the HTML for each might be rendered.

FWIW, I strongly disagree with this change. I don't believe it helps
implementers, and it also makes things harder for authors.

The frequent idiom of

    See Section x of [RFCyyyy]

previously was

    See <xref section="x" format="of" target="RFCyyyy"/>

now becomes:

    See <relref section="x" target="RFCyyyy"/> of <xref target="RFCyyyy"/>

Note:

- the RFC anchor needs to be repeated

- the information that this actually is *one* link is lost

Best regards, Julian