[rfc-i] Referencing Internet Drafts

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon May 25 08:04:23 PDT 2015

On 5/25/2015 7:53 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> Out of curiosity: why was the series name ("Internet Draft") dropped here? Is this really an intentional change?
> I hope so in both cases. The series name is obvious to 99% of readers of RFCs.

The percentage might be accurate as query frequency estimate -- for any
given use, the person doing the query is likely to be familiar -- but
probably quite high in terms of long-term range/variance -- of all folks
ever doing queries, how likely are they to already be familiar.

In any event, given the remarkably low cost of adding a label that
defines the document registration authority, why make life more
difficult for that remaining percentage?

RFC has probably got sufficient public institutional position to stand
on a par with ISBN, and the like, but I doubt that "draft-*" has...

I'm assuming that these choices are not meant as a filter, to require a
degree of already being inside the IETF club?  That is, I've always
assumed that our documents are meant for a global community, not just
those already deep into IETF culture.

d/

--
Dave Crocker