[rfc-i] RFCs and Digital Object Identifiers

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Thu May 14 17:40:15 PDT 2015

> Hi,
>
> Is there a reason you inserted leading zeros, as in
> http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC0020 ?
>
> (I assume there is no magic in 4 digits, since the series will not
> end at RFC9999.)

There is definitely no magic in the four digits. The script pulled
that piece of information directly from the rfc-index which still has
those leading zeros. Since this isn't going to cause any programmatic
difficulty with regards to DOIs down the road, and since it is a right
royal pain to reregister and end up with essentially duplicate DOI
targets, we're leaving as is.

- -Heather