[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-18.txt

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Wed Jun 3 15:36:02 PDT 2015

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2015, at 2:30 PM, Carsten Bormann <cabo at tzi.org> wrote:
>> (If a separate element is chosen despite this point, it can't possibly
>> be called "relref", because there is nothing relative about that deep
>> reference.)
>
> Since I do care about the name, I don't understand this statement. When the user specifies <relref relative="f-4" target="RFC7878">, the "f-4" is relative to the URL given in the reference for RFC7878. Why do you say there is nothing relative about it?

The attribute "relative" may be adding relative information*).
The reference itself is not relative (to what?), it is just a deep
reference.
(Yes, it is a bit weird that we subsume both real cross references and
literature references under xref.  But I think nobody is proposing to
fix that.)

Grüße, Carsten

*) which is a statement about the mechanics, not about the semantics.
The semantics is just about adding detail to the cross reference.