[rfc-i] Units

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Wed Jan 28 21:17:29 PST 2015

On 2015-01-28 23:05, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Definitely not a troll. I would like to see one line in the
> style guide: SI units are preferred. Really, for the vast majority
> of humans acres, gallons, pounds and miles are meaningless.

+10000.  ISO 80000 for the win.
In particular IEC 80000-13, with bit, B (byte), KiB (kibibyte), etc.
Maybe we can root out kbps, and octets while we are at it*).

(The specific case of "100 acre data centers" of course is irrelevant,
because that is just a figure of speech.  I'll even buy a 2.5 inch disk.
 Just put a strong requirement to use ISO 80000 for actual engineering
data [dosage information, medicine guys would say].)

Grüße, Carsten

*) kbit/s, and bytes.