[rfc-i] Units

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Jan 28 17:12:36 PST 2015

* Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>I just came across an Internet-Draft referring to "a 100 acre data center".
>
>So, do we have a policy for units in RFCs? It seems to me that we should
>not use quaint local measurements like acres. We should (as a style guide
>issue) use scientific, i.e. metric, units, as in "a 40 hectare data center",

I think "500 meters x 800 meters" is much more likely to be understood,
I at least would avoid hectare in writing not least because I would have
to look up the definition myself. Explaining a data center by its ground
surface area also does not seem to be a good idea. Using "acre" is like
using date formats like "mm/dd/yy". A byte isn't 10 bits, and a kilobyte
isn't 1000 bytes.
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/